Refereed papers can be on any aspect of the conference theme or sub-themes. Refereed Papers that are accepted from the 40th HERDSA Annual International Conference will be published in the conference proceedings - Research and Development in Higher Education: Curriculum Transformation, Volume 40.
Abstract due date: 23 October 2016
Full paper from accepted abstracts due date: 6 February 2017
Final Paper due date: 12 May 2017
Abstract for Refereed Paper
The first step in submitting a proposal for a refereed paper is to submit an abstract by 23 October 2016. After a blind peer-review process, authors of accepted abstracts will be invited to submit a full paper for peer review.
An abstract (maximum 400 words) must be submitted for review. The abstract should be submitted as a word document using the Abstract for Review Template and NOT contain any information that might identify the author/s. The abstract should include the title and three keywords that best reflect the proposed paper. The abstract should address
- The research and/or issue under consideration
- Overview of methodology (theoretical positioning of the research) and method(s) of data collection and analysis
- Brief discussion of results and implications
- Relevance to conference theme
Abstracts for refereed papers will be reviewed against the following criteria.
- The issue and process
- Contribution to scholarship and/or practice
- Clarity and standard of writing
Full Refereed Paper (from accepted abstracts)
Authors of the accepted abstracts must submit a full version of their paper for peer review by 6 February 2017.
- Papers should be a maximum of 5000 words in length, including abstract, references and all appendices. Longer papers will not be accepted.
- Please ensure that you use the Submitted Paper Template and follow the HERDSA Formatting Guidelines. Submissions which do not follow the guidelines will be returned to authors and may not be reviewed. The paper should NOT contain any information that might identify the author/s.
- Research and scholarly papers will be double blind reviewed by reviewers selected by the Conference Organising Committee. Papers will be reviewed using the following criteria*.
- relevance of the topic to the conference theme and selected sub-theme
- persuasiveness of evidence of effectiveness of the initiative or practice
- soundness of the research methods and critical analysis
- originality and contribution to scholarship
- clear and coherent presentation of the argument
- clarity and standard of writing
*Where papers are conceptual/analytical rather than empirical, it is recognised that not all the above criteria will apply.
The outcome of the paper review process will be that each paper is:
- Accepted as is
- Accepted with minor revisions
- Accepted as a non-refereed showcase
- Accepted as a poster
If your paper is accepted for presentation, you need to resubmit the paper after editing for reviewer comments and adding any identifying information that was excluded from the version submitted for review including author name/s and institutional affiliation.
Where revisions and/or corrections to formatting are required, authors will need to complete these within the time allocated and in compliance with the guidelines or they will not be accepted.
This final paper is due 12 May 2017.
If you are unable to submit your full paper by this date, but still would like to present at the conference, please contact the HERDSA Secretariat to advise that you intend to roll over the abstract to a showcase presentation.
All accepted full refereed papers are published in the annual conference proceedings (available on the publications page of HERDSA’s website: http://herdsa.org.au/publications/conference_proceedings) and will be given a showcase presentation slot in the program of 20 mins. This means they cannot be published elsewhere.
- Key Dates
- Call for Proposals Open 12 September 2016
- Registration Opens 19 September 2016
- Call for Refereed Paper Abstracts Closes 23 October 2016
- Notification of Acceptance for Refereed Paper Abstracts 15 November 2016
- Full Paper from Accepted Abstracts Due 6 February 2017
- All Other Submission Types Due 20 February 2017
- Notification of Acceptance for All Other Submission Types 10 April 2017
- Early Bird Registration Closes 28 April 2017
- Pre-Conference Workshops 27 June 2017
- HERDSA 2017 Conference 28 – 30 June 2017